Oct 23, 2008

A Visit from Dr. Mueller!!!

This past Wednesday night, we had our very own Champaign Resident, Dr. Mueller, come in and talk to us about his educational background, his journey from a string player to a string teacher, and what it's like teaching in multiple schools.  



Dr. Rodney Mueller

I began playing the cello in 4th grade. I adored my teacher and came to love the cello. It was my cello teacher at Wheaton College who believed in me and led me to want to become a school string/orchestra teacher. After completing my bachelors degree I attended Northern Michigan University for teacher certification and subsequently a M.M. in music education. I also earned an Ed.D. in music education from the University of Illinois. I have done teacher training for both Suzuki violin and cello and summer workshops for string teachers in Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, and Alberta.

Teaching Experience
I have taught in public and private schools in Grinnell, Iowa; Sheffield, England, and Three Hills, Alberta, Canada, working with students from pre-school to elementary school through high school and college. I have conducted the Sangamon Valley Youth Orchestra as well as the Junior String Orchestra at Illinois Summer Youth Music. 

 Recognition
I received the School Teacher of the Year Award from the Illinois-American String Teachers Association, the Exemplary Teacher Award from Stanford University and am published in Who’s Who of American Teachers 2004.





Here are some inspirational and insightful quotes shared throughout the night....

  • "Don't reinvent the wheel; take in what resources are already out there"
  • "In string teaching, you are a salesman"
  • "Play in orchestras so that you can develop a relationship with your students...Ex. "Students, I have a concert on _____ at _____""
  • "In terms of music parts[and copyrights], teaching responsibility and accountability will promote respect and admiration for the music"
  • "Do Suzuki training so that you will understand Suzuki students that are in your program"
  • "I wanted to help kids do something that I didn't have when I was younger"
  • "When someone asked me 'why did I want to teach?', I answered them "I think I have something to offer..."
  • "The 2 best friends that you will need are the head custodian and the head secretary!"
  • "With Middle School kids,...if you get them on your side, they will go anywhere with you!" 

Overall, it was a great night!  We couldn't ask for a better speaker!  Thanks again Dr. Mueller!!!


0 comments: